ASIAN BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS
Recipe by Thanh from Eat, Little Bird
“I love stews and braises with Asian flavourings, and whilst these Asian Braised Beef Short Ribs are typically something I would make in winter, we love it at all times of the year.In fact, there’s something comforting about sitting down to some braised short ribs during the week, especially if you might be working from home and can simply pop this into the oven to cook slowly during the day. This recipe for braised beef short ribs uses many of your typical Asian aromatics, such as ginger, Chinese five-spice powder, cinnamon and star anise. Together with soy sauce and hoisin sauce, the beef short ribs are braised in a lovely flavorful sauce” Thanh, of Eat, Little Bird
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BEEF SHORT RIBS
Due to the rich and flavorful sauce which accompanies the meat, the best accompaniment for these beef short ribs is plain steamed Jasmine rice and either some steamed broccoli or Asian greens such as bok choy.
Prep Time:15 mins
Cook Time: 3 hours
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3.5 lb beef short ribs
- 2 large brown onions, thickly sliced
- 2 inch piece of ginger, coarsely grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons chinese 5 spice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup hoisen sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (light or dark)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 star anise
- fresh cilantro finely chopped
- red chilies, finely sliced
Instructions for Stove Top and Oven
- Preheat the oven to 320°F
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan (which has a fitted lid) over medium-high heat.
- Sear the short ribs until they are browned and golden on all sides. You may need to do this in batches.
- Remove the ribs to a large dish and set aside.
- Turn the heat down.
- Add the onions, ginger and garlic to the pan. Saute for a few minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add the Chinese five spice powder and cook for about a minute.
- Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar, chicken stock, cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Return the short ribs to the pan, along with any juices which have settled in the bowl.
- Cut a piece of baking or parchment paper to fit the pan, and cut a small hole in the centre to allow the steam to escape. Place the baking paper directly on top of the stew – this helps to keep everything submerged while it’s cooking and to prevent the loss of too much moisture.
- Cover the pan with a lid and place in the oven for about 5 to 3 hours, or until the meat is falling off the bone and a spoon cuts through the meat easily. Alternatively, you can cook on the stove over very low heat.
- Use a slotted spoon to gently remove the ribs to a large dish.
- Skim off as much fat as possible from the sauce in the pan.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat on the stove and let the mixture simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until it has reduced and thickened slightly.
- Taste the sauce for seasoning.
- Serve the ribs with steamed Jasmine rice and steamed broccoli (or other Asian greens), with the sauce drizzled over the meat.
- Garnish with coriander (cilantro) and red chillies.
Instructions for Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot
- Follow Steps 1 to 10as for cooking on the stove.
- Make sure the liquid is below the 2/3 mark on the pot.
- Cook on high pressurefor 35 to 45 minutes. The length of time depends on how big your beef short ribs are. To err on the side of caution, I recommend checking for tenderness at 35 minutes. If a spoon does not cut through the meat easily, cook the meat for another 5 to 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the meat is cooked until tender, continue with Steps 13 to 18as for cooking on the stove.
Want to truly succeed in the kitchen?
With all recipes, we at Work Sharp Culinary recommend starting EVERY recipe with the best tools. To help you succeed, we recommend a sharp knife to prepare your protein. With our newest model, the E2, on the market, we’ve got the kitchen knife sharpener that’s a perfect gift for your dull knives at a more economical price point. For $49.99, your knives will be accurately sharp at the push of a button. Check it out by clicking HERE.
As an added bonus, we offer newsletter exclusive discount codes, so be sure to sign up if you’d like the opportunity to win knife sharpeners, knives and other kitchen tools!