Japanese Shiitake Chicken Meatballs
A classic with a twist! During the winter months, these meatballs are a great warm dinner that can be prepared ahead of time and reheated for dinner. We like to serve these with cauliflower rice and oven roasted carrots or other root vegetables.
Total time: 45 minutes
Hands on Prep: 20
Yields 8-10 Servings
-2 lbs ground chicken (avoid lean or fat free chicken)
-1 package sliced shiitake mushrooms (approx 4 oz.)
-2 tbsp miso paste
-1 tbsp minced ginger
-1 clove minced garlic
-3 scallions (whites & greens divided)
-½ cup panko
-Sesame seeds and/or sliced scallions for garnish
- Heat a drizzle of sesame oil in a pan. Add finely diced whites of scallions, ginger & garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
- Add shiitake mushrooms. Cook approx. 5 minutes, adding a dash of tamari if it becomes too dry.
- Remove from heat & empty contents of pan onto a cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, finely mince the mushroom mixture as small as possible until it mimics a ground chicken-like consistency.
- Mix mushroom mixture & miso paste in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Taste- it should be very salty & umami.
- Add ground chicken, egg, panko & chopped green scallions to the mixing bowl, and mix using your hands until just combined.
- Heat a drizzle of sesame oil in a pan.
- Form meatballs using your hands and place into hot pan.
- Turn the meatballs using tongs until brown on all sides and cooked through.
- Garnish with optional sesame seeds and/or sliced scallions!
Want to know what Meal Prep Chef uses to keep their knives sharp? Click HERE or scroll down to the end to learn about our products!